Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Start of 2nd Week - Oklahoma City, OK to Amarillo, TX

Tuesday, September 10th, we packed up early and headed west on I-40 from Oklahoma City to Amarillo, TX.  We stopped at the Cherokee Trading Post to get our first view of OK’s state animal and a TP. There are three live buffalo in the corral but I wanted you to see the inscription on the statue. We enjoyed looking at the large selection of beautiful Indian crafts inside the trading post.
The old Route 66 parallels I-40 quite a ways; the interstate was built after WWII to make travel from the east to west coast much faster. Only parts of Route 66 are maintained today and sections have disappeared completely.  The line of motorcycles to the right in this picture is travelling on the old Route 66.  On the left side of I-40 in this picture notice part of a windfarm.  We saw several windfarms stretching for miles along the I-40.  There is definitely enough wind in OK and TX to support them.

We got on Route 66 in Clinton, OK to go to the Route 66 Museum which traces the history of this legendary road from its inception to the present. It was well done.  We made it to Amarillo, TX late afternoon and after setting up camp, then fixed dinner and have been relaxing in the camper.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing the Rte. 66 photos; I love them! I am very jealous! So glad you guys are having fun; I've been praying for you! (Carol Byrd)

    ReplyDelete